For those who know me, know I love chia seeds. They are an amazing super food.
Chia seeds are:
- Hydrating – when soaked
- Improves digestion – thanks to the soluble and insoluble fiber
- Regulates cholesterol levels – again thanks to the soluble fiber and because it contains essential fatty acids that cleanse the veings and prevent the oxidation of lipids
- Controls blood sugar levels -the nutrients contained in these seeds not only prolong feelings of fullness, they also help slow down the conversion of carbohydrates into simple sugars in the digestive system
- Increases energy – essential fatty acids, proteins, and antioxidants contained in chia seeds increase mental and physical performance, particularly in people who already exercise or are engaged in demanding physical activities throughout the day
- Helps to lose weight – because this gelatinous substance expands inside your stomach, it suppresses your appetite for longer periods of time and keeps you from stress-eating).
That is a lot of goodness in one little seed- which is why it is considered a superfood. I put chia anywhere I can but my two favorite places are in my wheatgrass/chia seed shots and in this super green chia gel. You make a whole quart (which will stay fresh for a week to 2 weeks) and keep it in the fridge. Then when you need a boost of energy you swig a couple of ounces. Make it your first go to when you are in the emotional eating zone- take this first. Let it settle in for 5 minutes. I find the more greens and chia I consume the less cravings I have and if you are going to emotionally eat- nothing can be better than this.
I get my chia seeds at Costco. It is the cheapest price I have found.
1 qt water
5 tbsps chia seeds
2 dropperfuls of ChlorOxygen
5-7 drops liquid stevia (if desired)
Fill a qt size canning jar with water, add chia seeds, ChlorOxygen and stevia (if desired). Put lid on and shake. Put jar into the refrigerator for several hours or overnight before consuming. Take 1-2 ounces at a time up to several times a day. Before a workout, when hit with an afternoon slump, or in the morning if you didn’t get a good nights sleep. You can also add to a green smoothie.